What are skived fin Heatsinks?
Skived fin Heatsinks evolved from folded fin Heatsinks, offering even higher fin density with improved thermal conductivity since the fins are literally carved out of the Heatsink base. Specially designed blades cut very fine and thin fins into the raw metal block at an angle, which are then folded up and aligned. Since both fins and base are shaped out of a single piece of metal, skived fin Heatsinks provide the best possible thermal conductivity between fins and base.
- Single piece construction results in perfect conductivity between base and fins
- Very high aspect ratios
- Allows very thin fins (down to 0.2 mm thick)
- Highest cubic density of fins and surface area
- Can be made from copper OR aluminum
- Can be prototyped without tooling expenses
- In the most cases more costly than extrusion
- Copper is difficult to manufacture, limited height and pitch
- A secondary machining step is needed for base thicknesses of 3.0 mm or less.
- Fins and base have to be the same material
- Fins have to be parallel, can't be arranged in a circle
medium to low